Oral medications like sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and vardenafil (Levitra) are commonly prescribed to treat ED. These medications work by increasing blood flow to the penis, resulting in an erection.
Oral medications for ED have both advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the most significant ones:
- Oral medications are effective in treating ED in a majority of men.
- They are convenient- they are taken orally, usually about an hour before sexual activity.
- They are non-invasive.
- When taken properly, these medications are generally considered safe.
- Generic formulations have the same effectiveness as the name brand but are more cost-effective
- Common side effects of oral medications for ED include headache, facial flushing, heartburn, and – nasal congestion.
- While these medications are effective for many men, they may not work for everyone.
- Prescription is required.
About the Presenter
Amy Pearlman, M.D. is a board-certified urologist specializing in male sexual and hormonal health, as well as genitourinary reconstruction. As a Co-founder of PRIME Institute located in South Florida, she collaboratively employs the bio-psycho-social approach to ensure the best possible outcomes for her patients. Alongside her clinical expertise, Dr. Pearlman’s passion lies in educating her community on essential men’s health and sexual health topics, empowering individuals to make informed decisions about their well-being.