At a Glance
- Oral medication available in 500mg and 1000mg tablets
- Shortens the duration of outbreaks
- Works best when taken within 24-48 hours of first noticing symptoms
- Reduces chances of transmission
- Helps relieve pain and discomfort during an outbreak
Valacyclovir is an antiviral medication prescribed to treat and manage herpes, cold sores, and shingles. This medication is taken twice daily during a herpes outbreak to shorten the duration of the outbreak. It can be prescribed to be taken as a daily medication to reduce the risk of outbreaks and transmission.
Starts at $0.60 per 500mg Tablet
What to know about Valacyclovir
How it Works
While there are no known cures, antiviral medications like Valacyclovir can prevent or shorten herpes outbreaks during the time a person takes the medication. Daily use of an antiviral medication for herpes can also reduce the likelihood of transmission to partners.
Who is it for?
Valacyclovir is an antiviral medication prescribed to treat those diagnosed with herpes simplex 1 and herpes simplex 2 (HSV-1, HSV-2)
A daily dose of Valacyclovir is clinically shown to reduce the frequency of herpes outbreaks.1
1. NIH National Library of Medicine, Suppressive valacyclovir therapy to reduce genital herpes transmission: Good public health policy?
Valacyclovir Side Effects
- Headache or confusion
- Gastric distress (Upset stomach, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Blood in the urine
Good to know
For best results and continued efficacy, continue to take Valacyclovir for the full course as prescribed by your doctor even after symptoms begin to subside.
Level Up Your Knowledge
Can A Healthy Lifestyle Improve Your ED?
In this article Dr. Loh-Doyle explains how four key lifestyle changes can not only improve your erectile function, but will help you maintain your overall good health.
ED: The Canary in the Coal Mine
In this article Dr. Hakky discusses how erectile function can be an indicator of heart disease and overall men's health.
For instructions and how-to’s, visit our resource center.