What is Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS)?
Still have some questions?
Say no more.
LUTS can be caused by a variety of conditions that irritate, infect or obstruct your urinary system. Often this is a result of trauma, surgery, an enlarged prostate side effects from medication, or prostate cancer, as well as aging.
Lower urinary tract symptoms are a common problem, especially for men as they age.
- As many as 3 in 10 men over the age of 65 suffer from LUTS. That number increases to 40% in men aged 75 years or older, according to some studies.
- The principal underlying cause for men who develop LUTS is benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Studies show about one third of patients who develop LUTS see their symptoms improve, one third remain unchanged, and one third worsen over time.
Risk factors associated with lower urinary tract symptoms include:
- Increased serum dihydrotestosterone levels
- Elevated fasting glucose
- Fat and red meat intake
Men should seek a referral to a specialist assessment if they have:
- Bothersome lower urinary tract symptoms that have not responded to conservative management or drug treatment
- LUTS complicated by recurrent or persistent UTIs
- Urinary retention
- Renal impairment thought to be due to lower urinary tract dysfunction
- Suspected urological cancer
- Stress urinary incontinence
Treatment Options for LUTS
Treatment of incontinence, an enlarged prostate, and overactive bladder are designed to target the symptoms only. Medication can help relieve the bothersome symptoms caused by these conditions, but surgical treatment may be necessary in severe cases.
Alpha BlockerLearn More
PDE5 InhibitorLearn More
Beta-3 Adrenergic AgonistLearn More
5-Alpha Reductase InhibitorLearn More
ProtechDry Men’s Underwear
Washable Incontinence UnderwearLearn More
Finasteride + Tadalafil
5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitor + PDE5iLearn More
Lunderg Confidence Clamp
Urinary Incontinence ClampLearn More
Tamsulosin + Tadalafil
Alpha Blocker + PDE5iLearn More
Dietary SupplementLearn More
Minze Diary Pod
Testing Device and AppLearn More
Compare the details
There’s a lot to choose from when it comes to LUTS treatment options. Select up to three products and use the button below to compare.
The American Urological Association recommends surgery for certain patients. Your physician specialist can determine if you are a potential candidate through pre-operative testing and analysis. Surgical options include:
- Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP)
- Simple Prostatectomy
- Transurethral Incision of the Prostate (TUIP)
- Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate (PVP)
- Prostatic Urethral Lift (PUL)
- Transurethral Microwave Therapy (TUMT)
- Transurethral Needle Ablation (TUNA)
- Laser Enucleation